2023 Pitblado Lectures: Artificial Intelligence in Legal Practice
November 16, 2023 | 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. | Robson Hall, Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba
Jointly presented by The Law Society of Manitoba,
the Manitoba Bar Association and the
University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law
Artificial Intelligence in Legal Practice: Risks, Rewards and Responsibilities
We’ve gone from snail mail to email. From case law reporters in the library stacks to keyword searches in online databases. There is no doubt that technology has transformed the way we practice law. Now with the increasing availability and use of artificial intelligence, we are once again facing dramatic change – while many of us are still trying to familiarize ourselves with what AI actually is!
This year’s Lectures will give you the basics and beyond about artificial intelligence. Topics will include:
- Foundational learning about the different types of AI and key definitions;
- The potential for generative AI (think ChatGPT) to make legal practice more efficient and to increase access to justice;
- The importance of human oversight and steps you can take to use AI safely and responsibly;
- Ethical, competency and bias considerations; and
- Impacts on health and wellness in the legal profession.
We are excited for the Lectures’ return this year with a rare in-person only event hosted by Robson Hall!